Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Say What???

Saw an audiologist and an otolaryngologist today. Let's just say I don't have your typical hearing problem. I'll try to simplify this two and a half hour appointment for ya.

First off, I have bilateral tinnitus. I wasn't surprised by this diagnosis. What surprised me was why I have it. It's not from loud sounds; it's most likely genetic. The tinnitus is not disturbing enough to worry about. If it was, most that he could do is prescribe something to deal with anxiety or depression. No, thank you.

Then he turned into a psychic. He guessed that I get migraines primarily on one side, that I'm dyslexic, that I have trouble hearing someone when I can't see their face, and in even mildly noisy situations (like at a restaurant or if a fan is running) I have trouble hearing what people are saying. I was shocked. It gave me goose bumps! From what I could understand, from all of the medical jargon, is that the part of my brain that processes hearing/language is the problem. As far as he can tell, it's not MS related. I'm just born with bad wiring. Normal brains can filter out ambient noise. Mine has trouble doing that. He was shocked that I sometimes interpret for my church. He congratulated me for being able to compensate as well as I have. I laughed and said, "So, it a miracle that I can hold a competent conversion."  He also congratulated me on having a sense of humor about all this.

Next, he went over the vertigo that I had a while back. While he's glad that I was able to take care of it myself, he's not sure if it was an inner ear problem or MS since I do have a lesion that is on my cerebellum. If I get vertigo again, I'm suppose to go in immediately. He is not so sure Copaxone cause my lesion. Since I had the vertigo before my major relapse symptoms started, it is entirely possible that I was already developing a lesion on my cerebellum and that my adverse reaction to Copaxone influenced the progression of it. I have a neurology appointment in two weeks so I guess I'll find out what Dr Luzzio thinks about all of this.

It certainly has been a long interesting day. I learned that my brain was broken before it was broken.


No comments:

Post a Comment