Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Eye patches and pimp cane.

Last night was my first time injecting Copaxone on my own. This time in my stomach because I got lots of fat there and that is suppose to make it easier. I had no problems injecting the medicine, but after a few seconds I had the same symptoms I suffered before. Heart palpitations, nausea, feeling faint, and a burning pain at the injection site. I was ready for the pain this time with a cold pack. It didn't help much. The other symptoms were gone after 30 minutes, but I writhed in pain in my bed for 3 hours trying to get some sleep before I had to get up for work at 3am.  I think I got 3 hours of sleep. When I woke my right hand and leg were worse and I still had double vision.
I went to work anyway, ha ha ha ha. That didn't go well. Matt had to drive me to and from work. Thank goodness I start at 4:30am and end at 8am. The lifeguard that opened with me had to do almost everything. I couldn't walk throughout the building, or do anything that required me to carry something. Computers - I could turn on those at least. Greeting people was nauseating because they entered the building on my left. So I really struggled with my double vision. I used Matt's cane to get around when I needed too, but pretty much I just sat there and fielded questions on why I had a cane. The bright spot at work was my wonderful friend, Kathy, who prayed over me for healing.

After Matt brought me home from work, I called Copaxone and talked to them about my experience with the drug. The nurse they had on staff said my symptoms were concerning and I should call my neurologist. Duh, I was planing to. Called my neurologist but only his nurse, Lisa, was available. Shocker. Anyway, when I explained my experience with the Copaxone she was concerned my MS relapse was trigged by the drug. She consulted with my neurologist and they agreed I should stop taking the medicine and see if my symptoms subside.
I think I was better off managing my MS with diet. This drug is suppose to slow the progression of MS. Yeah, I don't think that's working out too well for me.
Lisa, said driving and working were out of the question and sent my employer some papers. The medical leave is left open ended because we don't know how long these symptoms are going to last. I'm also getting a handicap parking permit, for obvious reasons.  Link to double vision eye movement video

In the mean time, Lisa suggested I wear an eye patch when I want a break from the double vision. I don't have one so I used my face mask.
Like a boss!

Then a beautiful friend of mine, Sherri Moore, couldn't just let we walk around with what Matt calls a face bra. She made me an eye patch that fits over my glasses. 
Visit: Sherri's Custom Shoppe and browse her creative hand-crafted collection.
I have the most amazing generous friends! Love. Love. Love!

Then, my new cane arrived this afternoon - Christmas!

Yes, I geeked out over a cane because it can stand on it's own. If you've dealt with canes you know how annoying it is when they fall down. I think it needs to get pimped out somehow. I'll have some time on my hands so we'll see what happens when I get bored.

1 comment: