Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vitamin D and MS

While at my neurology appointment I asked Dr Fleming about vitamin D.  I've heard and read a lot of stories where MS people claim miraculous healing by taking D or D3.  He told me the trial study on D showed no improvements for MS patients.  I told him that many people say doctors will deny the heal benefits of vitamin D because they don't make any money off of it; you can just by it in the grocery store.  He laughed.  And then told me something shocking.  "We [UW Health] hold the patent on vitamin D.  If anyone wanted vitamin D to be the cure, IT'S ME!  I would have made millions!  So tell your friends that yes doctors are corrupt and greedy (said very tongue and cheek) but we could not make this work even if we fudged the numbers."  He said, for some people vitamin D seemed to make the MS worse, if it was too high.  He told me a regular amount of vitamin D is good and I shouldn't stop taking the supplement, but don't take too much or expect it to cure my MS.
I don't have an aversion to taking vitamins.  I take lots.  And perhaps vitamin D alone doesn't work but I do think  vitamin supplements can at least help and perhaps coupled along with others can do a lot of good.  In fact, I'm adding kelp to my supplement routine. I need to improve my diet and exercise in my daily life more too.  Heck, almost everyone in America needs to do that!  Hard part is for the study/trial Dr. Fleming asked me not to put myself in situations where I would have to use my inhaler (so it doesn't skew the tests results).  He told me to tell the hubby I'm not to shovel any snow since my asthma is only a problem in the winter.  I can live with that.  So exercise has to have many breaks which makes it hard to make any progress.  Most of the weight I need to loose will have to be with diet control.  Crap.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the share! Wonderfully helpful article. Love your blog posts.

    Sample Evaluation

    ReplyDelete