Thursday, August 25, 2011

The puberty talk...gone horribly wrong.

Zach has been talking all day about how he thinks he's going through puberty simply because his voice squeaked a few times.  So inevitably Samantha asked, "what do girls go through in puberty?"  Zach doesn't even give me time to respond and yells, "YOU BLEED EVERY MONTH!" along with maniacal cackling.  This of course horrified Sam and she responded, "No we don't." and then looks at me for reassurance which I couldn't give.  I kicked Zach out of the room and gave her the low down on what it means to become a woman.  She was not happy.  She asked if it hurts.  Ugh, I had to tell her about cramps, but I explained that exercise and eating right will make them less painful and possibly nonexistent.  That'll get her to eat her veggies!  I'm so manipulative.  Then she asked, why all the bleeding.  So I had to explain the birds and the bees.  She must have figured if girls go through so much then boys must experience a lot too.  So she made the mistake of asking.  She was not pleased.
Poor girl will probably have nightmares now.  I had this image in my head of how I was going to explain it all.  It was going to be wonderful and bonding.  Not, "YOU BLEED EVERY MONTH, HA HA HA!"

2 comments:

  1. About what girls and boys have to go through, don't forget to tell her that although women have to 'go through' all that, they also get to feel a tiny miracle grow inside of them, nurse a sweet, small baby and be their world. Totally so worth all women have to 'go through'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, yeah I did try to explain the miracle of having babies. And that it was such a blessing to have her and her brother. She brushed right past the "miracle" part and asked if it hurts. She had a one track mind. I'm sure once she gets over the shock, she will embrace womanhood with grace and joy.

    ReplyDelete