Friday, November 25, 2011

It's wouldn't be the Holidays without an ER run.

Matt dragged me to the Wausau emergency room yesterday which is out of our insurance network.  Yes, I spent a large part of my Thanksgiving in the ER.  I didn't want to go, but when all of my limbs were so weak I could barely stand, or hold a cup I finally gave in.  It happened so suddenly and all over my body.  It started with my right leg first and spread all the way up my leg to my right arm then my left leg to part of my left hand.  My limbs felt weak, cold and heavy.  I even had a hard time signing my name (I'm left handed) when we were checking in.  They did the normal myriad of tests including a CAT scan.  I did have a headache too in my right temple.  After about 3 hours all the test came back clean.  My cat scan didn't show a stroke or blood clots.  I was a little nauseous and they wanted to give me medicine for it but I refused.  I was pretty sure it was just because I was hungry and I didn't want it to mess with the HINT trial I am in.  By the time we were ready to leave, my headache had gone from a 6 to a 1 on the pain scale and my legs were back to normal.  I still had issues with my right thumb and index finger but it was nothing compared to how it was earlier.  I was wheeled into the ER and I walked out of there with a spring in my step!
After talking with doctors we came to the conclusion that this episode was brought on by caffeine.  It was the only thing out of the ordinary that I had done.  I  had a coffee and pain medicine with caffeine in it that morning.  I thought I had read the ingredients and I didn't see caffeine on the package.  Later, Matt found the continued section of the ingredient list where it was listed.  Oops!  I normally don't drink anything with caffeine and that morning I had giving my body a double dose of it.  No wonder my system was freaking out!  I'm fine now.  All the weakness and tingling have disappeared.
I PRAISE GOD with my boldest of text for His loving healing and care.  I certainly got a scary hint of my possible future, but I also got to see how loving my husband is during a hard trial!  He was my rock.  I'm thankful to the Lord for giving him to me.  When I was in doubt about going to the ER, he was and is unapologetically sure it was the right decision.  He kept me entertained while waiting for test and never complained about having to sit there.
Now I'm off to talk to the insurance people.  Pray we don't pay an arm and a leg for this little ER visit.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling much better & all goes well with the Ins Co. Love you & keeping you in my prayers.
    Mom B

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are in my prayers! Matt is such a sweetie!! XO

    ReplyDelete