Sunday, July 17, 2011

Multiple sclerosis explaination

From talking with several people after my diagnosis and getting a lot of questions I realized explaining MS would be helpful.  I'm going to be quoting from the National MS Society a lot so if you want more detailed info go to their website: http://www.nationalmssociety.org

First off, the cause of MS is still unknown.  They do know that it's a disease of the central nervous system (the brain, optic nerves, and spinal cord) and is labeled as an autoimmune disorder.  basically that means my body's immune-system is attacking the protective coating around my nerves called myelin.



So the white spots on my brain in the MRI scan are areas where the myelin coating is damaged and replaced with scars of hardened "sclerotic" tissue.  Dr. Fleming says it's more like blisters on the brain than hard tissue.  When that happens the nerve signals can't transmit properly or may be severed completely.  This can cause a wide variety of symptoms depending on where the damage is. Symptoms like:  "blurred vision, loss of balance, poor coordination, slurred speech, tremors, numbness, extreme fatigue, problems with memory and concentration, paralysis, and blindness and more. These problems may be permanent or may come and go." - nationalmssociety.org

"Studies suggest that genetic factors make certain individuals more susceptible than others, but there is no evidence that MS is directly inherited." - nationalmssociety.org.  I was officially diagnosed at the age of 32 but I showed symptoms when I was 27.  This is a very typical age to get MS.  In most cases MS is not fatal but most struggle with increasing limitations.  So far, my vision, concentration, memory, and speech have been affected.  These kind of symptoms are considered invisible.  While they affect me greatly it may not be noticeable to others.  I feel like what makes me me is slowly being stripped away.  The talkative social butterfly I use to be is shrinking.  I fear getting involved in social situations (especially those with unfamiliar people) because I don't know if my verbal abilities will fail me or not.  I worry about being in charge of something and my vision, memory or concentration just won't allow me to get the job done.

Studies also suggest that those lacking certain vitamins and minerals add to their susceptibility.  After doing some research and reading about others with MS and what they have done health wise that has helped.  I have chosen to take vitamin D3, fish oils, B-12, Migrelief (B-2, magnesium, feverfew in it) Newchapter organics Every Woman multi-vitamin + Herbs and minerals.  I take these all twice a day except B-12 which is a morning only pill.  Since those who are overweight and unhealthy have more MS symptoms than those who are healthy.  I'm going to probably join the YMCA and start a swimming regiment.  Heat and humidity can cause MS symptoms to flare up.  In my case I noticed when I work out my vision in my left eye become unbearably blurry.  I'm hoping that swimming will keep my body temp level while I exercise.  I'm also going be more strict on my diet.  Sticking to South Beach because I've done it in the past and know it works.  I have an appointment July 21 with my neurologist.  At the appointment we will be deciding what needs to happen next.  I may or may not be put on medication.  We'll see I guess.

I hope this all help explain a lot.  If you have more questions, just type them up and I'll try to do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment