Monday, July 4, 2011

Relapse

So I have been struggling with my vision again in my left eye.  Doctors ordered another MRI and when compared to my 2006 MRI there are more lesions (white matter-plaque or scar tissue). They actually look like little light gray spots.  The concern of MS came up again so this time I get the joyful experience of a spinal tap. *sarcasm*

I'm very nervous about this procedure.  I get weak just thinking about it.

Here is what I will be experiencing on July 6th:

Lumbar Puncture


For a lumbar puncture, you lie on your side with your knees drawn up toward your chest. This position helps widen the spaces between the bones of the lower spine so that the needle can be inserted more easily. A numbing medicine (local anesthetic) is put in the skin. Then a long, thin needle is put in the spinal canal to collect a sample of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Your doctor may need to move to another area of your spine if it is hard to get to the spinal fluid.  Process takes about 20-30 minutes.

After the procedure, I will have to lay in the supine position for 24 hours, then for 5 days I have to take it easy so the puncture site can heal.  Matt is taking the day off for the lumbar puncture and will be caring for me.  Jenny has so graciously volunteered to take the kids for a while.  Kiki, John, Jenny & boys plan to take the kids camping at Lake Emily too while I'm laid up.  Then, my mom is taking the kids up to Wausau just because she wants too.  I don't know which day yet she will be bringing them home.

I ordered my 2006 and 2011 MRI images and notes.  Seeing ones own brain is very surreal!  It took some studying and practice but I think I am now able to discern a lesion or two.  The speech area of my brain has some lesions so that explains a lot!  Recently I have been having a very difficult time speaking.

Here is a picture of some of my lesions:



Turns out the vision problem is an inflammation of the optic nerve of my left eye.  I don't know if this is related to the lesions or not.  The doc said to take baby Aspirin and see if that improves my vision.  So far, little to no improvement.

Well, that is the skinny on what has been going on with me.  I will update when I can.

1 comment: