Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An appropriate response?

So what do you do when someone hurts you or someone you love? Most times peoples responses are knee-jerk, and not in a good way. Someone I know recently retaliated in a way that shocked me to my core. They wrote the offender a note wishing them unhappiness and pain like they inflicted! I was flabbergasted! I mean, I understand their anger, my loved one was also hurt by this person. However, my response was sadness for them. Knowing that this person didn't have the love of Christ in their life and is a big factor in why they sin in the first place. I'm blessed that the Holy Spirit compelled me to pray for them. Don't get me wrong, I am still angry at what she did. And, when I was receiving the news of her numerous sins, my reactions wasn't completely without some choice words.
Matt is a study in human behavior. Not professionally but more recreational. Comes in handy at work too. Anyway, he has a habit of teaching me little tidbits about how people work. Plus, reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People" was beneficial! One thing is clear though, people are defensive when attacked and the opportunity for civility goes out the window! The same person who said "sorry," is now justifying their past wrongs because of being on the defensive. How does that help anyone?! People seem to think that if they berate a person that this will convince them to change their ways. When the total opposite is what normally happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment