Monday, January 30, 2017

Memory poblems with my new job.

MS can be sneaky. I knew I had a bad memory but I didn't realize how bad it has become until I got this new job. I'm really struggling with the ability to not only learn but to retain.
We had an all day training lesson today. Whenever we had a "challenge" to check our knowledge, I failed every single time. I was the only one who had this problem. It's gotten so bad, a person has been assigned to me after training was over. I'm the only one who has this extra help. He even asked me if I have memory problems, because that's how obvious it is. I got so stressed trying to keep up my left side of my face started to feel like novocaine was wearing off and my right leg got muscle stiffness. I have to admit I get irritaed with people when they say, "you'll get it". Honestly, it feels dismissive and patronizing even though I know they're not.
They don't understand the horror of not remembering the day before. The panic feeling knowing you will forget everything you learned that day. Some would say, by thinking that way I'm making it happen. Maybe I should carry around a MRI picture that shows the lesions in the area of the brain responsible for  memory.
I have to do things repetitively constantly to retain the knowledge. This job has so may exceptions to the exceptions that may only be done a few times a month or less. That is not a enough for me to retain the knowledge. I got an email today that said I did something last Friday that requires follow up. I don't remember even doing it or what I have to do.
While I'm thankful that they haven't given up on me I wonder how long they are willing to put up with someone like me. Training is suppose to be over at the end of this week. I feel like I need another month.

Found this very dry, but informative video that explains the memory problems I have. It acually makes me feel better knowing that I'm not imagining the struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment