Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter in Wausau

We left on Thursday 4/8/2010 and stayed til Sunday.  I didn't have a back-up interpreter this time, but Lesetta insisted that I go anyway.  She knows my grandfather is dying from colon cancer and that this will probably be the last time I will see him before his funeral.  It was great to finally get to see him.  Last time I was in Wausau, he wouldn't let me and the kids come visit.  He had just had a procedure done and was in a great deal of pain and diarrhea issues.  This time he was on morphine and we actually didn't call and ask to be invited.  We just showed up.  I knew my Aunt Mary was going to be there from California, so it gave us an excuse that he couldn't refuse.  He never did refuse our visit thankfully and was actually a joy to be around.  His spirits were high and liked watching the kids play with his dogs.
Last time I spoke with my mom she said they upped his morphine because the infection in his foot has gotten worse from his diabetes.  They of course can't operate because his heart is so bad.  Now Grandpa Prahl is having difficulty remembering when or if he has takes his meds.  Sometimes I'm sad that it won't be long now.  Then other times I just don't want him to suffer anymore.  My mom and her siblings are over at his place a lot to help out.  I know this has got to be really hard on my mom since she watched and cared for my grandma Prahl in much the same way.  It pains me not to be there.  More so for my mom than for my grandfather I hate to say.  I was never really close with my grandpa Prahl, but I am glad we got a chance to see him before he goes.
Well, on to less depressing stuff.  We did actually have a fun time in Wausau.  Got lots of Sydney snuggles and smiles.  Which alone is totally worth the 3 hour drive up there.

My Aunt Rhonda hosted the Easter gathering at her house.  Complete with Easter egg hunt and enough food to feed an army.  There was barely any food left when we were all done.

I finally got to meet Madison, my unofficial cousin Jamie's new baby.  That child constantly has her tongue out.  She is, I think, 3 or 4 months younger than Sydney but is almost the same size as Sydney is now.

Before we knew it it was time to head on home with our loot of candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment