Saturday, January 17, 2009

Marriage bliss

I love my marriage. Not just my hubby but the whole package. Just when I'm starting to take it for granted. I witness a marriage fall apart. I feel kind of guilty that while others are in turmoil I'm thinking, "Wow, sooo glad I have the marriage that I do!" Of course, I feel really bad and wish I could do something for them. I'm not totally heartless. It's just interesting that it take a troubled or failing marriage to remind me to be thankful. Well, that's not completely true. When I chat with any couple that is deeply in love with each other, I am reminded then too. But, this blog's focus is on a particular marriage that fell apart. It happened to a someone I deeply care about. He was not only devastated by his wife asking for a divorce but, found out later that she was cheating on him before and during their marriage. His world collapsed. The family was utterly astonished by this woman betrayal. Yes, I will admit I was angry and shocked. But then a strange thing happened. I felt sorry for her. She is searching for happiness and love in relationships that are destructive! This is her 2nd or 3rd guy she has been with that started in secret. It seems she needs to feel that excitement of a taboo relationship and also enables her drinking problem.
While still married, her husband believed in the "hands off" approach. She went out a lot without him. Drank so much she was an embarrassment and openly flirted with other men. Her husband didn't want to be an over-bearing controlling husband so, he stayed quiet. She is an adult, after all, she can make her own decisions, right. Unfortunately, her decisions are based on what feels good at the moment. I doubt she or her lover full comprehended the consequences of their actions.
The 'other' man involved in this story was also married with a new baby, when he decided to commit adultery. I can't help but feel heartbroken for his wife. She has a new little baby, she isn't getting a lot of sleep, she feels ugly because her body has yet to recover from being pregnant and her husband hops in bed with a young, beautiful, athletic woman. His excuse: "My wife isn't giving me enough sex!" WHAT?! She just had a baby, your child! Several colorful expletives come to mind every time I think about this statement.
This man embodies how immoral, do-what-feels-good attitudes are ruining families, communities, and unraveling the very fabric of our society. Sadly, this man took the wide road. Instead of working on his marriage, and building a relationship with his wife and child; he went outside of his marriage, looking for easy 'feel-good' happiness. I wonder how long it will be before this new relationship he left his wife for, falls apart. He sure has shown that when things get hard, he runs.
This little soap opera gets even more complicated since they all work in the same building (with the exception of the cheating husband's wife) So, yeah, that's not uncomfortable at all! The news of the affair spread like wild fire and most people obviously sided with the husband of the cheating wife. And, in this poor economy I don't know if any of them will quit. I bet they are actively looking though! Again, more guilty feelings of relief that I am not in that kind of situation.
As I pray for each member involved I find that I am praying the same basic thing. That they will find healing in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on their knees before the Throne of Heaven. When you boil it all down, that is the common denominator that is missing in all of their lives. Once He is allowed to come in and take control of the situation, that is when true healing and peace can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment